So, what is it?
Root cover up is a temporary coverup spray to help cover up roots or grey hair between colouring. It comes in six different colours and takes seconds to start working. It is temporary and washes off in one washing. I choose the dark brown cover up and found it really matched my hair well.
Did It Work?
It’s been quite a while since I’ve coloured my hair. In fact I was due for one, and have had the new dye ready to go but was waiting to do this review first. Needless to say my “silver sparkles” as my 7 year old calls them are really starting to come through.
These pictures were taken about 10 mins apart, before and after using the spray.
I didn’t do a thorough job because Little Miss woke up part way through, but as you can see it did a fantastic job in a hurry! I am sure those extra few strands would have been covered if I did a more thorough job!
What I Liked & What I Didn’t:
- The colour matched really well. I was actually fairly impressed with it.
- It was easy to apply.
- It was super quick to apply and to dry
- I found it easy to comb through (other people complained it was “stiff” but I did not find it to be stiff at all.)
- As you can see it covered up the grey really nicely, even though I did a quick/uneven job.
- It feels natural. Doesn’t leave a film etc.
- The smell when applying it. I was in my bathroom and it made me a bit lightheaded. I would probably not have had this issue if I had been in a more ventilated area, or if the window was open. So I really suggest using somewhere nice and ventilated. I will say the smell doesn’t linger or anything, so I’m 99% sure ventilation was my issue.
- If you get it on your skin your skin will take on the colour, though I found it came off easily. People have reported touching their hair has left their hands coloured, but I didn’t find that at all. I think it’s important to wait until it’s dry before touching.
- I wished it lasted a bit longer than one wash. But the product did last until the wash, which is what it claimed to last.
Rating (4 out of 5 stars) I really liked this product and would definitely recommend it for a quick touchup!
I received the product free to review. I was not paid to do a blog review or any other type of review. As a reminder, all opinions in any review I do, including this one, are my own. Read more on my review policies.